Friday, August 3, 2007

See you in a week

Good choice. Health care is a bit easier than some, because it's less ideological than many of the other issues (though the GOP tried to change that in 1993). But it's harder than others because it's not nearly as clear what the "right policy answer" is. (I consider defining the goal as "universal coverage" to be part of the Dems problem, but I'll get back to that in my next, longer post.)

BTW, I'm realizing that you really are much more cynical than I am. I'd say that on an issue-by-issue basis, 50% of success in gathering public support is having a good solution to an issue that matters to people, and 50% is how it is framed and presented (by both sides). So, I see a big part of our exercise to be coming up with smart, workable solutions. The rest (which may indeed be harder) will be informed by these interesting insights and a little strategic thinking on our part. (That's where your cynicism will come in very handy.)

Have a great time this week on vacation, and I'll post something here over the next week for you (and others) to react to.

No comments: