Thursday, February 7, 2008

Yes. He. Can.

Interesting video. I had read about it but hadn't watched it. Thanks for passing it along.

I hear both of your responses. I think there has been a long-unquenched desire on the left for "the next Kennedy", an inspirational leader who speaks about something bigger than ourselves, takes the high ground and still can win elections. And I think, particularly after 2004, there is a huge swath of this country that just feels completely shut out of the power of decision-making and is ready for that to end. Obama definitely faces the "where's the beef" test vs. both Hillary and McCain. I think he would play up the policy differences more so in the general election, but will have a big hurdle to get over on national security. (BTW, Wes Clark could be a strong Veep contender for either candidate.) But I don't see that translating into a broad suspicions of him as some kind of cult-like leader. We are far too much of a youth-obsessed society for that meme to catch up.

Personally, I'm not getting caught up in the whole Obamania thing. I support him because I think the country's political atmosphere has become too corrosive in ways that are preventing us from finding common sense solutions to pressing problems and also in ways that are detrimental to our democracy and our civic life. Also, I don't know that I'm a believer in the power of any politician to "make us a better people". I think there will always be better and worse angels of our natures, and politicians should be focusing on setting up structures to let the better angels of our natures ultimately prevail, and avoiding appeals to fear and prejudice. I think that Kennedy was more a creature of his times rather than the major shaper of what the 1960's became. (Demographics, economics and the Vietnam War did that.)

BTW, apropos of your concerns, I have a new theory about the split in supporters for Hillary vs. Obama. I'd call it trust. Blacks, young people and higher ed junkies feel like we know Obama because he is one of us. We know where he is coming from and see him as a member of 'our tribe'. To others (Hispanics, Asians, older people, white under $50K earners), he is an unknown newcomer, but they trust Hillary because they have known her for 15 years and have seen what she and Bill have stood for and done.

And if you don't like that theory, here's another one, based on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. If your basic needs have been taken care of, then you can look for someone to provide less material benefits like uplift and you can afford to take more of a chance. If you're worried about your basic needs, you're not looking to take any chances and want someone who can promise to protect you.

No comments: